Getting business cards are a daily event that can go unnoticed or unappreciated. Why not make sure that your card gets noticed, as well as interesting interaction with person you’re dealing with.
I knew it !
Don’t have a crystal ball? Well, some business cards will do just fine then. All you need for this icebreaker is six of your own business cards, a flat surface and a prepped business card with the words ‘You Will Choose This One’ written on the back. Time for you to see the future!
If we’re going to work together, you’ll be pleased to know that I can predict the future. Don’t believe me? Can I show you?
You’ll have your potential client’s attention. Casually lay down six of your business cards face up and in a row, making sure that you don’t reveal the card with your handwriting on the back.
The one with the writing on the back “You Will Choose This One” or “I Knew It” should be in the fourth position from the left.
Okay, six of my best business cards… choose the number between 1 and 6.
If they choose the number 3 – count from left to right.
The numbers 3 and 4 are the most common choices. If they choose the number 3 then count from the right.
And if they choose 1, 2, 5 or 6 then do the following. For 1 you will say “How do you spell 1?” Then you go, from right to left “O.N.E.” And voila, you land on the right card again.
The same for number 2. You go, from right to left, “T.W.O.”
For number 5 you say, “How do you spell 5?” And then from left to right you go, “F.I.V.E.”
And for number 6 you go “How do you spell 6?” And from right to left you go “S.I.X.”
In short, for 3 and 4, you go left to right for 3 and right to left for 4.
And for the other numbers you spell out the numbers with each letter being a movement in either left or right. Numbers 1,2, and 6 are from the right, and number 5 is from the left. The number 5, for example is spelt “F I V E” which is 4 places from right to left to the desired card where it is written “You Will Choose The One”.
One , two , three , four … four you said?
Casually turn it over. On the back it reads, 'You Will Choose This One'.
You’re bound to get a smile or look of intrigue from this one.
I know what you are thinking, it’s written on all of them.
Allow the person to turn over the rest of the cards. They will all be blank.
I told you, I’m good with predictions, the business cards never lie.
- And as a bonus, you get to keep my card. Free of charge.
- If you need me to make any more predictions, you’ve got my number.
- I don’t know how it works either, it’s a gift.
Reveal the secret to the icebreaker if you think it would create even more rapport.
Now we’re both masters of prediction.
How did you know?
Can we do it again?
What if I chose another number?
- When you are in a meeting and want to make a big impression.
- When in a social setting at work and you want to get people chatting and thinking.
- This one works well at cocktail parties. Never fails to get people’s attention.
- business meetings
- office gatherings
- team building events
- brainstorming sessions
- socializing at a bar
- 6 business cards
- a flat surface available, like a table
- On the back of one of the business cards write the words like “You will pick this one”.
- Stack the cards so that when you lay them out on a table the prepped one would be 4th from the left.
- Practice laying the cards on the table without showing the back of it and without paying any extra attention to the prepped one.
- A lot of people will be asking you how you did it – you may or may now want to show them. Secrets are cool, but sharing is caring.
Do It Yourself (DIY)
business cards kept in your jacket should last as long as your jacket
one of the crew spilled the beans
time to impact time to impact
pretty much there and then
size of audience size of audience
this is best as a one-on-one tool
possible health risk possible health risk
none that we know of
reusable how many times you can use it
once per person
training needed training needed
try it one by yourself and you will be an ace