You’ll need access to a person’s cellphone, and a few minutes to set up - making this best aimed at a friend or family member. Get into the Contacts section of their phone and go to town.
Making a Name For Yourself
A prank can create a smile, if done on the right person and used in the correct way. Try this simple gag on someone you know (and perhaps not a business client you just met).
There are many ways to play this out. You can go full force, changing contact numbers around on the most recent and popular contacts. This means that they’ll keep phoning the incorrect person. When they dial Sally, you’ve changed that number to Dan, or Dan becomes the number for the local pizza delivery, etc.
You can also embellish the name information section.
e.g. Dan’s name becomes So Irritating or Don’t Answer.
Another touch is to use the Add Photo option. In fact, if you don’t want to swap numbers around, just adding prank photos of the person will provide enough laughs. Get creative when adding photos to represent the people you’ve selected.
You can leave the pre-programmed fun for the person to figure out on their own - but if you want to get an immediate reaction, prep the situation.
Hey, can you call Dan? I’m having trouble getting through to him.
When a picture of a sea otter (or whatever you’ve chosen) pops up on screen and Sally answers the call, enjoy the confusion.
- Are you saying that Dan looks like a sea otter, or Sally?
- Is this how you treat all your friends and colleagues?
- I’d hate to see what picture you have of me.
Change the phone information only for you. Ask to see their phone when you call them, then playfully make fun of how they’ve saved your name and prank photo, pretending to be irritated or taken aback.
Did you have anything to do with this?
Do people laugh when you do this?
How many other funny things can you do with a phone?
- When you want to stir the pot.
- When you want to be a bit naughty.
- When you are feeling like a bit of a devil.
- the office, with people you know well
- the house, with family members
- socializing at the pub, with friends
- Someone’s phone, and a sneaky hand
- Go wild with their contacts list, but don’t get caught.
- Practice keeping a straight face.
- You may annoy some folk so make sure you know who you are messing with.
Do It Yourself (DIY)
someone’s mobile phone
phones are everywhere
don’t drop the phone
time to impact time to impact
pretty much there and then
size of audience size of audience
possible health risk possible health risk
you may get some grumpy comments
reusable how many times you can use it
once is enough
training needed training needed
go into stealth mode