Dealing with unreasonable or downright rude clients or acquaintances can be frustrating. Everyone knows what this is like. But with minimal effort, you can turn the tables on the situation, much to everyone's surprise.
Mobile Flight Mood
Get pulses racing and grab some proper attention with this simple and cunningly effective icebreaker. All you need is a piece of black cardboard - roughly the size and shape of a mobile phone - some imagination, and a story to tell.
Excuse me, I've got a call coming in… pretty sure it's a customer really putting the squeeze on me.
Signal to the person or people you're standing with that you're taking a call. Lift the black cardboard sized phone to your ear, as if it's a phone. No one will notice that it's not real, especially if you angle it away from them. Acknowledge those around you with a ‘can you believe this conversation' look.
You can share any kind of story or you can simply hold your nose and pretend that you just accidentally tripped and bumped into the door on your way in and that you think you hurt your nose.
Yes, of course … Yes sir, absolutely. Anything you want. We can add whipped cream if you like. Consider it done.
But sir, at that price we are giving it away. Sir, that is rock bottom. Ok, then stick it up your … No, you can get lost!
Everyone should now be hanging on your words, how is this going to resolve itself? On your final angry words, crumple or tear the fake phone in half, then throw it to the ground.
Sometimes enough is enough, right?
People will not believe their eyes. Pick up the cardboard phone and reveal the secret.
Don't worry, it's nothing but cardboard. No phones were harmed.
Consider having a few more cardboard phones in your pocket for everyone to try their own version. It's great for creating camaraderie and smiles.
Try it for yourselves. If anything, it helps relieve tension.
- Don't call me, my phone's broken.
- I can't hear you, we're breaking up… look, the phone just broke up.
- It's okay, I'm due for a phone upgrade soon.
- What, you haven't seen these new disposable iPhones?
Pull out your real phone.
Can I get your contact details? I'll put them on my real phone.
You ever freak anyone with that?
Can you show me how you made that?
- When you are wanting to get someone's attention in a big way.
- When in a social setting at work and you want to get people loosened up and laughing.
- When people are falling asleep in a meeting and you want to wake them up.
- sales meetings
- at the water cooler
- socializing at a bar
- black cardboard
- Simply cut out a rectangle approximately the size of your mobile phone.
- Make it slightly bigger on the width so that you can add a lip on each side.
- Bend the cardboard to add a small lip on either side.
- Practice this once in front of the mirror - hold the phone in a way that it looks like you are talking on your mobile - should be a piece of cake.
- You may give people a bit of a scare.
- Do not recharge ;-)
Do It Yourself (DIY)
mimics your mobile phone
fragile – it is cardboard, so don't sit on it and squash it
we phoned a friend
time to impact time to impact
pretty much there and then
size of audience size of audience
one-on-one or in a group of up to 5 people
possible health risk possible health risk
this may give people a fright
reusable how many times you can use it
once per person or group
training needed training needed
minimum (practice talking on the cardboard phone – you will get it in no time)