Use a Post-It note or piece of paper, roll it into a cone shape, tape it closed and draw some eyes and whiskers – so it looks like a mouse head that you can slip onto the end of your finger. Alternatively, use the pro version available from Coolfidence HQ.
With your new little friend, the mouse puppet, on your finger, start creating some intrigue for friends, family or colleagues. Don't reveal the finger puppet at first. Pretend you've spotted something running around the room. Everyone knows a good mouse story. Tell them about the time a mouse ran behind your kitchen sink and you did not know what to do. Say you think that the mouse you just spotted now may be the cousin of the mouse behind the sink.
You ever caught a mouse in your hands?
Look around. As if your eyes are following something moving around fast. Jot your hear around, quickly, with a frantic look.
Did you see that? I think there’s a mouse running around in here.
Look around some more, try to get them to help you find it as well.
There it goes again.
Find a spot they can't see behind, like a picture frame or open cupboard door. Or position your body in front of theirs when you pretend to grab the critter.
Got it, wow, what a friendly little creature.
Some extra lines you can try (if they are still unsure)
- I think I just found a new little friend.
- I wonder what the cat is going to say about this.
- A mouse in the hand makes it very difficult to blow your nose. Hang on, that actually may be a bird in the hand.
With both hands cupped, dart the mouse puppet finger in and out of your enclosed hands, animating the head to look like it's peeking in and out, looking around.
I think he likes you.
Enjoy the smiles, then reveal the mouse head on your finger and give it away if you're feeling generous.
Some extra lines to possibly use
- It's quick, give me a hand here.
- Give him a good home… he doesn't even need to be fed.
- This is great for kids and for adults who don't want to grow up.
- You can even try this on your cat.
- This is also a good icebreaker for cats.
- He doesn't normally like strangers, he must sense that you're a good person.
You could always pretend to kill the mouse by slamming your fists down and squashing it. If you have some ketchup nearby, by some chance, you could add a dab in the palm of your hand and then when you squash the mouse it will reveal the gory ending. This is not for the feint hearted so proceed on this path with caution. You don't want to alert other mice in the area.