Print out or handwrite the capitalized words, OPPORTUNITYISNOWHERE on a business card, piece of paper or cardboard. Keep it hidden in your pocket until you find the right moment to reveal it.
OPPORTUNITY IS NOWHERE
A simple word puzzle to test mindsets. The world is full of pessimists. You know, the half empty type, and this icebreaker highlights that. It also gets people thinking. Opportunity is all around us, and here we have a chance to illustrate that.
Let me take this opportunity to show you something.
Are you a glass half-full or glass half empty person? Optimist or pessimist?
Whatever the answer, pull out your cardboard letter test.
Let’s test your theory, what does this say?
Reveal the letters directly in front of their eyes. They will most likely answer, "Opportunity is nowhere."
Wow, what a Debbie Downer… opportunity is nowhere, are you sure? Don’t you mean, Opportunity is now here?
This should bring a smile to their face as they see the riddle answered. Hand them the cardboard to try on others.
Take it and try it on others… spread some positivity.
- Is the glass half full or half empty… or do we just get the bartender to top us up?
- Here’s your opportunity to try it on others. (Hand them the cardboard)
- When opportunity knocks, make sure you’re not in the bath.
- What’s got five syllables and a world of possibilities? Opportunity.
Did you see get it the first time?
Is there really opportunity now here?
Does everyone see the glass as half empty?
- When you want to get people to think positive.
- When you want to emphasise a point about how opportunity is all around us.
- When you want to stimulate some creative thinking.
- sales meetings
- team building events
- brainstorming sessions
- a printout with the text on it
- If you have the paper strip with the text on it and you are all set.
- If you cut the text printout into a strip and laminate it, then that works well.
- This does not work on everyone but on most people, so try it a few times and see.
- It may not work on everyone so try it with a group.
Do It Yourself (DIY)
small (it fits in your pocket)
it is paper, so don’t get it wet
friends in London
time to impact time to impact
pretty much there and then
size of audience size of audience
this is best in a group but can also work as a one-on-one tool
possible health risk possible health risk
it may upset some pessimists
reusable how many times you can use it
once per person
training needed training needed
works right away