Round up an individual or group of people to lay down the challenge. It could be great during team building or to start a brainstorming session. Hold up your A4 piece of paper.
People enjoy a good mental challenge, especially when the premise seems simple to achieve. For this, all you need is a single sheet of A4 paper and an office door. Easy as that. And remember, one door closes and another one opens. But in this case, the closed door is the key.
I'd like to try something that will bring us together, while also keeping us apart. You keen?
Put the piece of paper on the floor and lay down the challenge.
I bet that we can both stand on this piece of paper, easy enough right? But not being able to touch each other… do you think it's possible?
Let them think it over for a few seconds, then place the paper long-ways across the office doorframe. Tell them to stand on the other side of the page.
You need to stand on the side where you can reach out and close the door in front of the other person standing on the piece of paper.
Now close the door. Take your position on the other end of the page, on the other side of the door. Knock on door for effect.
You see, now we're on the same page.
But we can't see eye to eye. And no touching.
- I always knew we'd end up on the same page.
- In business, it's important to always be on the same page.
- It's better this way, we don't want any harassment charges with touching and stuff.
Open the door.
Career growth is all about opening doors.
Who else falls for that?
You think you are smart, don't you?
Do you get to open a lot of doors with this?
- When you want to get people to unwind and smile.
- When you want to get people thinking outside of the door, er, box.
- When you want to get people on their feet and interacting.
- team building events
- brainstorming sessions
- at home, with family
- a piece of paper
- a door (glass office doors are even better as everyone can see the smiles)
- Place a piece of paper under a door.
- Position it lengthwise.
- Open the door.
- You're set.
- Works right away.
- Don't get a door slammed in your face. Pick the right door.
Do It Yourself (DIY)
one sheet of A4 paper
as long as the doors are still standing you can go on forever
a friend from afar
time to impact time to impact
pretty much there and then
size of audience size of audience
this is best as a one-on-one tool
possible health risk possible health risk
careful not to walk into a door
reusable how many times you can use it
once per person
training needed training needed
none (works right away)